I’ve been dreaming of making my own vegan empanadas since tasting Ruben’s. Today was the day! Here’s my recipe based on VegWeb the empanadas came out amazing!
To make Vegan Empanada Dough:
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup earth balance or other vegan butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of arrow root powder
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 spoons of lightly fried sweet plantains (this makes the dough amazing!!)
*Mix the above with your hands, form into a ball and refrigerate in plastic wrap for 1 hour.
5 Vegan Empanada Filling Ideas – Mix & Match or Create your own!
- Potato Filling: Boiled potatoes + Fried Onions + Daya Cheese
- Soy Chorizo & Tofu: Lightly Fried
- Steamed Broccoli
- Steamed Kale + Vinegar + Oil
- Fried plantain: Fry with olive oil then mash it up with a fork
Roll the dough, form circles using a glass or another object (or form aprox circular shape). Add filling. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes on foil with some flour on it. Enjoy!